Monday, August 18, 2008

Adventures at the Grocery Store...

So, since I've been working with Half-pint on potty training, we had a discussion on the way to the grocery store about the store having a potty, in case he needs it. He wanted to know where the potty was located. As we entered the store, we headed straight to the bathroom. Half-pint checked it out, then quickly ran out. I called to him to wait fro me, but by the time I got out of the bathroom with Quarter-pint, Half-pint was no where to be found. I knew that he had run back and forth between the women's and men's restrooms a few days earlier; so I called into the men's room, with no answer. After checking the store outside the bathroom and calling into the men's room a few times, I asked a man leaving the restroom if there was a little boy there, but he said no. Aaauugh! Where was he??? At least I knew where he wasn't! A store employee was coming out the women's room and suggested I have him paged at the service desk. Page a three year-old??? That just didn't seem like a great idea. I told her I would check the bakery (free cookies) and if I didn't find him I would head back to the service desk. I was very relieved to find Half-pint at the bakery! He wasn't eating a free cookie though...I caught him taking a big bite of a doughnut and then putting it back on the shelf!!! Thankfully the particular tray only had one other doughnut on it. By the time I caught up with him he had eaten nearly half the doughnut. I quickly scooped him up and put in the in shopping cart. Then I gathered up the half-eaten doughnut (so I could pay for it) and gave Quarter-pint a free cookie. Half-pint wanted one, but I told him no, he made a bad choice by not staying with me. We talked a little about not running and how worried I was because I couldn't find him. He was really mad that he didn't get a cookie. He cried and wailed that his belly was rumbly, but I didn't give in. He cried and carried on until we left the store. He didn't get a free cookie, and he didn't get to ride the horse; both grocery store traditions. Poor kid; made a bad choice! (I didn't let him eat the rest of the doughnut either-I'm soo mean!) He must have been totally tuckered out because he fell asleep in the 5 minute drive from the grocery store home.

1 comment:

Jeni said...

What an adventure!