Thursday, August 14, 2008

36 Hours...

Wow, I don't even know where to about potty training. I decided to hit potty training hard this week (what was I thinking???). Half-pint is closer to 4 than to 3 and not being potty trained is starting to get in the way of other things I want to do with him (like preschool, classes/sports, etc.). It's about time he has a little more structure-like preschool-and he's been driving me crazy. I found a preschool very close to our house, and with very high recommendations-which still has openings (even after the year has begun), but he needs to be potty trained (or course). I visited with the teacher and we even went over there so he could check it out. He was excited. So, hence the potty training begins. The first two days were really encouraging....then we had today. But I'm getting a little ahead of myself.

Yesterday the kids were running all around the house, making HUGE messes every time I turned around. Thankfully Half-pint had his first day back for speech therapy, so we had to get out of the house. Half-pint did a great job with the potty while we were out. I was really impressed with him! Between a couple of errands, Quarter-pint was screaming in his car seat-he thought he was starving. I was trying to feed him Goldfish while I was driving (he sits behind me and still faces backwards). After a couple of horribly failed attempts to feed him, Half-pint piped up "Mom! Gibe me the Doldpish! I feed Baby!" Sure enough, they can reach each other when both stretch they arms towards each other. Half-pint finished feeding Quarter-pint the "doldpish" and ate quite a few himself. Thank goodness for his help!

During the last errand of the afternoon, Half-pint tripped while he was trying to come back to me and hit his head really hard on the store floor. I had people come for isles around to say it was really loud. Poor kid! He immediately had a HUGE goose-egg on the side of his head. We quickly got to the car where I called his doctor to get a reminder (yep-reminder) of the signs for concussion. Thankfully, he recovered really well-no concussion that I can tell. He even kept his pants dry when he hit his head! What a kid!!!

Shortly after we got home, Quarter-pint was screaming in pain from the other room. I went running in to find him standing at the coffee table, hands on his face-covered in blood! This was our most bloody event to date, so I was a little shaken. I quickly scooped him up and as far as I can figure he bumped his face on the coffee table and cut the inside AND outside of his lip with his teeth. He stopped crying pretty quickly after I got to him and the bleeding stopped pretty fast, so I figured it wasn't too bad of an injury. I think the cut on the inside of his mouth was worse than the one on the outside and both looked much better today.

I couldn't wait to see what today had in store for me. I should have stayed in bed. Half-pint had a HORRIBLE potty day today. I hope both of us can survive this trial! In between all the potty accidents (I'm not sure all of them were accidents), Quarter-pint pulled an end table (I think it's really called a "phone table") over on himself. Thankfully he wasn't hurt! He also emptied the pantry cracker shelf onto the floor again. Yesterday he dumped the crouton box upside down, ate some of the croutons off the floor, then got really mad when he stepped on the crumbs. After dinner I had had it. I retreated to the office to try to get some work done on the computer. Half-pint came in and told me he peed outside. What??? I didn't even know he had been outside! After a few questions, I figured he had wet his pants-again. Then he pulled me to the front door, went onto the front porch to a wet spot and proudly said "See Mom! I peed right here!" Sure enough, there was a good sized wet spot right in the front of the front porch! What am I going to do with him???


Jenifuz said...

Goodness girl, what a few days!!! I totally understand about the potty training. I know with Cayden I tried to start potty training about 4 or 5 times and after a few days when he lost interest I would get fed up and quit. I've completely decided that it has to be their decision, no matter how much we want them to use the potty, they have to make a decision before it will finally work. Keep going and encouraging him so he can go to school. That might be the big motivator!! Good luck!

cara said...

Sounds like quite a day! I am glad no one was injured too bad. It is really cute that HP fed QP the goldfish. Good luck, I know you and HP can get through this.