Sunday, February 27, 2011

Half-pint Celebrates President's Day...

At school, Half-pint's kindie class had a Patriotic Presentation this week. All the kids had specific speaking parts they have been working on memorizing, they learned patriotic songs (even one "marching song" Half-pint informed me) and of course, all the parents were invited to come and watch. I've been working with Half-pint on and off for a couple of weeks on his speaking part. It was actually really short-just one little sentence and he had it mostly down from the very beginning. "George Washington loved to read." That was his specific part.

Every few days I'd ask him what he was supposed to say, and he knew it, but for the life of him he couldn't remember George Washington's name. It wasn't until about a week ago, when I was reading the teacher's weekly blog, that I realized they hadn't covered George Washington yet in class.

Every time I'd ask Half-pint to recite his part, I got a different name...from Abraham Lincoln to Martin Luther King Jr., and (my favorite) Thomas S. Monson. I wondered what his teacher thought when she heard "Thomas S. Monson loves to read." By Tuesday evening, Half-pint knew George Washington is the guy with the white hair, but still couldn't remember his name. I'm happy to report that Half-pint got it right when it mattered most---in front of all the parents. Good Job Half-pint!

No comments: